Goals and responsibilities of the Intelligence Agency
The strategic priorities and goals of the Intelligence Agency are determined in the strategic plan for the period of 2015-2018 in compliance with the established strategic priorities of the President and the Government of the Republic of Macedonia.
The Agency’s mission is to realize activities and capacities development for timely response to the security threats, risks and challenges of the current and forthcoming period.
The Agency creates strategic targets with establishment and development of appropriate efficient mechanisms for identification, prevention, forecasting and early warning and informing. The targets have great influence in decision-making process and creation of policy by the President of the Republic of Macedonia for protection of the vital and permanent national interests of the country and its interests abroad.
The following strategic fields for action are priorities for AR:
- Identification of the threats and operational and intelligence work
- Threats prevention
- State authorities informing
- International bilateral and multilateral cooperation
- Institutional cooperation
- Legitimacy and public relations
The basic principles of our work are lawfulness, professionalism, objectivity, transparency and protection of the human rights and freedom. The activities of the Intelligence Agency are planned are managed in accordance with The Work Program composed at the beginning of each year and represents short term plans document for the priority intelligence work when the overall performance is based upon the state strategic documents – the National concept for security and defense with real security risks and jeopardies.
- SPHERE OF ACTION
Pursuant to the Law of the Intelligence Agency, the Agency compulsory informs the President of the Republic of Macedonia, the Government and other state bodies with composed analysis and information related to each specific sphere of action.
The competences of the Agency as per the given law are:
- Early warning, estimations and forecasts of the tendencies and possible risks for the national security of the Republic of Macedonia,
- Data and information collection significant for the security and defense and for the economic, political and other vital state interests,
- Data and information collection for the international terrorism and transnational organized crime,
- Data and information analysis relevant for the security and defense of the Republic of Macedonia and for the economic, political and other vital state interests,
- Technical support,
- Activities for the logistics support and security in the work of the Intelligence Agency.
According to the legal provision for intelligence work, the following authorities are given to the Intelligence Agency of the Republic of Macedonia:
- The employees have the right to collect data, knowledge and information related to their specific sphere of work.
- The Director of the Intelligence Agency issues personal warrant card to the employees at special working positions.
- The employees with warrant cards shall identify themselves when conducting their official works in the Republic of Macedonia.